Serums are packed with turbo-charged ingredients designed to penetrate skin in ways everyday moisturizers simply can’t. For some people, these super-products are definitely worth the investment: they come with a host of benefits, like smoothing fine lines, increasing firmness, speeding cell turnover, boosting brightness, and correcting discoloration. We covered this in our last article. The catch, though, is that they won’t work as well if you use them incorrectly.
Follow these 5 tips to get the most out of your serum.
1. Cleanse Well: The active ingredients in skin serums will stick to dirt and dead skin, so for maximum absorption be sure to wash your face properly before applying. Use tepid water—hot water could make your skin perspire which inhibits absorption and cold water will close pores, blocking the serums’ goodness. Use a gentle cleanser that will dissolve dirt without over drying the skin.
2. Apply to Damp Skin: Some say that moist skin is 10 times more permeable than dry skin, so apply serum to damp skin after cleansing or mist skin with an alcohol-free toner for quick, deep absorption. Press serum into skin with an open palm instead of fingertips to release active ingredients.
3. Less is More: Serums are super concentrated. Use just a few drops or a dollop smaller than a pea. Any more is a hasty waste.
4. Wait, then Moisturize: Serums are not moisturizers. They need moisturizing mates like a day or night cream. To allow serums to fully absorb, apply and wait 5 minutes before moisturizing. This will allow the serum to soak into the skin so that it can work its magic. Take note: Well-formulated serums absorb quickly and disappear into your skin. If they leave an oily or sticky residue, they’re not doing their job well.
5. Avoid Color and Fragrance When browsing products, don’t look for pretty colors or pleasant scents—some of the best serums are fragrance free. An effective serum is loaded with active ingredients to target repair and rejuvenation. No only do colors and fragrances add nothing beneficial, they may even hamper absorption. Sano Naturals Vitamin C Serum contains no added fragrance, dyes or colors.